Pages

Monday, October 24, 2016

Fall is a season right?

Last Tuesday evening I had a rather painful impact with the ground. In this case I ended up falling off my bike. This is not the first time this has happened to me. But it is another challenge that I have to face with from time to time. I am rather overweight. In fact that is one of the first things people notice about me when they meet me. Because of my cerebral palsy I already have issues with balance. I am not stable on my feet for the most part. Walking can be a mild challenge when I'm having a bad day. The weight does not help me at all.

For me the risk of falling is every present. Because I have taken so many falls over the years. Depending on what is going on. I have learned how to react and roll my body in such away as to minimize the risk of getting hurt. However the falls that scare me the most are the ones that come so suddenly that I have no time to react. Last Tuesday's fall was one of those. First time in recent memory that I did get hurt to some degree. I am OK. However I am still feeling the effects of it. Thankfully my bones are rather strong due to my weight. The downside is that the soft tissue gets damaged and hurt because all the energy from the fall has to go somewhere.

What matters for me in this case. Nearly a week out is that I am still able to walk and ride the bike. Despite the rather direct hit I took on my left knee/leg. Even though I am always fearful of that nasty fall that could take me out of commission. I have to learn that even if my worse fears come true. I can still ride out the storm. This past week has been a strong indication of that.

I mention a bike was involved in this fall. In this case a good old fashioned single speed pedal bike. Classic beach cruiser style. I've had the bike since at least 2009. It has gotten a lot of use over the years. In fact I often say that I ride my bike better than I walk. Which in most cases is very true. Someone who is over 400lbs is not suppose to be able to go blocks let alone miles on a bike. People get a little pale when I tell them one of my favorite rides is a ten mile round trip.

I close this post out with this: Things are going to happen no matter how much we prepare. Sometimes elements are just out of our control. It is how we chose to ride out the storms in our life that makes all the difference. It is a lesson that I've been reminded of this past week. Boils down to my usual mantra: By the Grace of God I'm still standing.

-JM



No comments:

Post a Comment