Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Catholic Artist

I consider myself a Catholic artist who uses LEGO as his medium. I use this to promote the message that even if you have a challenge (or disability) that God can still use your talents. Each year as I have for the last seventeen of them. I spend countless hours of my time and energy to create something out of nothing. Taking a blank set of base plates and creating a new parish. Often times in the span of under two months. Which given the size and scope of what I do. Is rather impressive on it's own.

While I use the project to promote disability awareness. Their is also another element to my work. Something that is very subtle. But before I go into what that is. I must first explain something about myself. One element of my disability is that I am at times very hyper. Even as I have gone into adult hood and not far off from middle age. I am still the kind of person who cannot sit still for very long. I have to be in a state of constant motion. So even with that challenge that I face. I still enjoy the Mass. I enjoy the songs. I enjoy the processions. I enjoy the word of God. I enjoy the Communion. For me their is a deep passion for the Mass and it is an important element of my project.

My Lego Church Project is a snapshot of typical parish life. It is my love of the faith transformed though art. I try to capture as much of as I can. As realistically as I am able to given the limits that LEGO sometimes gives me. You see this passion because of all the details. The time I spend working on each section. Lot of that detail is in the tile work. The patterns on the floor and some of the other design elements that make a Church what it is. But building is only part of the story. Along with it are the people that come to the Mass.

One of the many comments I get is my project is always full of people. A sad reminder that our parishes are suffering. People have fallen away or have forgotten how important the Mass is. In the more recent past I have said that the pews are full because that is my hope and my prayer. That people would come back to their spiritual homes. To rejoin their parish communities. But I think this not a fully accurate statement. Because when I look on my work. I realize now more than ever. It is the entire project that is a prayer. A reminder of how important Celebrating the Mass is. That Christ would awaken in us a passion. A passion for our parish communities. But also a passion for life itself.

I close this post out with this final though: When I'm doing one of my displays people who come up to check the project out see the outside of the building. My comment to them is something along the lines of "You need to see the inside to get the rest of the story." As I've been working on this post. I'm starting to realize that their is way more to the story than just the project. That I am a Catholic artist who uses LEGO as his medium. I express my passion and love for my faith though my work. Sharing the messages that comes with it.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment