Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Grand Cross


During a typical Lego Church Project season build a picture like the one above gets posted. Over the years it has become a symbol of what the project is about. I call "The Grand Cross". Because for me that is what it is. It has over the years become one of the most important elements of my work. In fact the very placement of that cross has been one of the first things that get decided on even before any of the bricks are set.

The origins of how it even came about have been told many times. The FB page has more than few posts about it. Along with how it has evolved into it's current form. The design came about because of a need back on the Season 5 project. Since that time however the reasons for keeping the cross has also evolved. Over time the cross has become a statement of what I believe. To the point that with the exception of one season it has been used in every project since. In fact it really wouldn't be a Lego Church Project with out it.

 I've been reflecting on things over the past few months. I've come to a much deeper understanding of why I keep using it. It is very much a statement of who I am. Very much an important part of my work. It allows the work to stand out to show people "this is what I am doing." When I dig deeper. I realize that two more important meanings develop. Both very well tie into the themes I use in my art and of my own personal world view.

The first one is a pure representation of The Blessed Trinity. Each of the three crosses make up a part of that. One for God the Father. Another for God the Son. The final cross for The Holy Spirit. Which is the core of a path that I have made the choice to follow.

The other meaning that could be taken from the Grand Cross is the importance of unity with in our parishes. The smallest yellow cross represent a single person. The red outer cross stands for our parishes that we belong to.  The communities that we engage in as part of that parish. The largest yellow cross represents the entire Catholic Church itself. Not unlike when I'm building the Grand Cross into my project. One element cannot stand up with out the other. All three crosses are needed to keep things together. It is the same way with our Faith. With out people taking part in parish life. Our parishes cannot survive. With out our parishes. Everything else falls apart.

Take care my friends. Please feel free to comment on this or any of my other posts. Would love to hear from you.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment