Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Often Amazed

I am often amazed that I've been at this for so long with The Lego Church Project. Right now I'm about midway though my 17th season that for me started back about Mid-Feb with the build.

A typical season is a full cycle of life. The Build. Which in most cases these days starts around middle of March and will run to at least early May. The Display. That window is from June (or earlier depending on when I can set them up) all the way to the final display at Christmas. The Tear down. The end of the project season. That take place about mid Jan. Usually the same afternoon I get the project back from the final display.

Where I take the project to is a fun story as well. My first display was at the Mt. Zion Catholic Pastoral Center in Montrose, MI. That was back during what has become known as Season 1. It was a one week display and the first time I had ever shown any of my Lego Churches to the general public. At the time they had been mostly kid stuff. But at that point I was at a major cross roads and this opened up the doors needed for me to be where I am at.

Right now as it stand I have two "main" display locations. These ones have been stops for more than a few seasons. Most times the first display of the season is at the Knights of Columbus Hall Council #4232 in Saginaw, MI. That takes place in June and is usually a one or two week display. The final display is always at Christmas at Christ the Good Shepherd Parish. (The former St Helen/St. Andrew communities.) The Christmas Tradition has been going on since 2003. For me it is the most important display. Not because it's the final one. But it is at my home parish.

The Project itself is a massive Catholic Parish built out of LEGO bricks. With full interior and exterior details. The FB page has all the pictures and more information.

One of the things that people don't always realize is the message behind my work. I have a mild case of Cerebral Palsy. Which creates some unique challenges. Both with learning and social skills. I am a firm believer that even if you have a disability or challenge in your life. That God can and will use your talents in amazing and very creative ways. I am a firm believer in raising awareness for better treatment of those who have a disability. My project is my own way of raising that awareness.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment