Pages

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Look Into History: Season 11


Season 11 (2010-2011): This Project was a fun build. I had decided to simply reuse the same basic foot print for that I had used on Season 10. However what came from that is something very different from what I was expecting.  I pretty much went all out on this project. I had decided early on what kind of window set up I wanted to do. What added to the challenge of the build was the secret doors that could open up on the sides. Getting them too look like the rest of the section with out making it obvious that I had done something fun. (I did not want the little kids to realize this and open up the walls). But it was very slow building. I had to build each section row by row and had to work on all three window segments all at once. The project wasn't as tall so their wasn't any worry about the gaps being able to support the weight of the roof.

One of the bigger change for that year was the change to the Grand Cross. Replacing the solid yellow Cross with yellow 1x2x2 windows. This worked out for a while and added a neat change to the project's over all look. This also the first season where I added the Roman Numbers to mark the season. This came about because I wanted something to fill the space because on the other side their is a Tabernacle in the center. In fact this idea would be reused later in another season. The numbers have been used in every project sense. However the location has always been depending on the nature of the build.

The roof tiles get a mention because till Season 18 they were the main feature. They were redesigned from scratch after Season 10. I wanted something that captured the feel of the old dome roofs. It was something that I missed about the project and to be honest would have loved to revisit at some point down the road. But the tiles were built up and they worked out rather well for what I needed them for. It served a purpose and did a good job of it.

Season 11 was an amazing build. Some of the ideas carried over into other Seasons. Or in some ways revisited years later. It is the nature of The Project for ideas to be given a second or third look. To see how I can improve on things. Which is always a fun journey.

-JM


No comments:

Post a Comment