Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

Look into History: Season 8


Season 8 (2007-2008): This was a unique project which was based on the idea of a "Look into history." The idea of course was to go back over the past few season and merge together some of the more fun ideas that I had at the time. This also includes the attempt at the dome roof.  More on that in a bit.  

The project itself was one of the more massive works. I think at the time it was one of the first ones to cross the 45 inch length mark. Though the primary worship space is much smaller than some of the newer projects.

The roofs of any of my projects have their challenges. Sometimes things don't always go the way they should. In this case with the Season 8 project. I tried to do too many things and pretty much ran out of bricks. I had decided to use the grid system that I had developed for the Season 7 project. With the theory that I could do a full truss system which would allow me some more stability and to keep the roof from twisting as I built upwards. However I did not fully expect as to how many parts that would take. So as I am working on building up the dome I find out that I have in fact run out of parts. The solution was was rather creative. I took two gray base plates and linked them together. Then added side plates to make up the difference. Doesn't look that bad to be honest. Held up well during transport.

I have found that with in this life their will always be challenges that we have to face. Sometimes the best answers to those challenges happen to also be the most creative. In building these projects over of the years I sometimes find answers to my own challenges. For me it is always a learning experience. One that I do enjoy.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment