Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Working on the Project



I always get excited when I sit down and start work on a Lego Church Project season. I never know before hand how the project will turn out. What challenges I will face in the process of building. Typical stuff that is probably common with any artist who spends time on his/her craft. Mine just happens to be using a well known brand of building toys.

The project is for me a release. It is a chance to focus all I am on that single moment. To work with my hands in ways that are not all that common. It forces me to think and to look far into the future. I often say that I go in with a "throw and go" kind of view. Meaning that I don't have much of a plan going in. To be honest that is only partly correct. Once the lay out is set you do have to have to have some kind of road map.  A vision where things will go. Giving me a chance to tell a story with my work.

It gives me a chance to confront my own fears and anxiety over life head on. The fear and anxiety that comes with this project is with the bricks themselves. Assuming that I have enough of a specific part to finish my goals. That some issues will develop with the design and I may have to scrap something for another plan. But I've been doing this for a long time. I fight the anxiety and the fear in reminding myself that I know how the previous seasons have gone. I know that if something doesn't go according to plan their is always another way to do something. I'm not sure how it is for other artists. But I know for me that sometimes things happen and you learn. Still that fear is always in the back of my mind.

Still though all the challenges I am telling a story. The bricks and parts are a mix of new and old. Some have faded with age. Some have scratches and dings from years of use. When I work on the project I'm not seeing a new building. I'm seeing a parish community that has been around for a while. That this place has been around for far longer than most realize. This parish community could be mine. It could be yours. It could be in theory any Catholic Church in the world. It is a snap shot of who we are as Catholics. Celebrating the most important part of our faith. Jesus Christ.

About eight days ago I started work on my 18th season. I have no idea where this build will take me. I've been having visions of past visits to Our Lady of Loretto in Redford. Though the layout is not connected to the parish. More along the lines of past visits that I have made. I've done two displays with them in the past and it is one of list of places I would love to go back to. Any place I've been to becomes fuel for my ideas. The build is going well so far. Not quite to the half way point as of this post. I'm not in a rush. This isn't a race for me. I want to build the best project that I am able to.

By the Grace of God, I'm still building.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment