Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Have you prayed for your enemies?


 "Have you prayed for your enemies today?" This was a question recently asked on twitter by Fr. Joseph Krupp. It is something that I've been thinking on. The short answer is yes. Not that I would really consider myself to have any real "enemies" in any sense of the word.

I've clearly over the years of my life have had conflicts with various people. Disagreements over matters of life, politics, and in some rare cases the Catholic church. Sometimes these disagreements have gotten way more out of hand to the point that in rare cases. Relationships fracture. Over time some of those have been mended. Though the amazing power of prayer. Some of those conflicts have been resolved in ways not even I could expect.

A classic example is that many years ago now. I managed to get into a major conflict with one of the residents in the complex over my riding around with The Trike. It got pretty heated and cops got called on me. In most cases it would be understandable that I would hold on to some resentment or a personal grudge. However I spent more than a few months praying for this person. Over time a peace has developed between us and we now get along pretty well. Enough that I make it a point to check in with them to see how they are doing and to offer to pray for various issues.

Questions like the one Fr Joe asked are a good way to remind ourselves of how important it is to pray for those we have disagreements with. For you never know where God will take things. That our prayers should not be limited to just the people in our lives we care about. Or even those who ask for prayers. God calls us to love everyone. Even if we disagree with them. -


No comments:

Post a Comment