Pages

Monday, May 20, 2019

Remaining Faithful: Suffering and Disability




I've told people more than a few times that one of my favorite sayings is "By The Grace of God I am still standing." It is a reminder that no matter what I am dealing with. God is with me always. Given the nature of human suffering it is easy to see why some get disillusioned with the idea of an all powerful being watching over us and allowing us to face challenges unending. While their are many forms of suffering in the world. For the sake of this post I am going to be talking about how it relates to disabilities and other chronic conditions. I remain a follower of God even though their are some days that are harder than others when it comes to the issues that I face. While I may not fully understand why I was born with these challenges. I can take comfort in many things. Such as knowing what wait awaits of us who believe in Christ when it is our time to leave this earth. It is our hope and prayer that what we endure on earth will be rewarded with what we get to see in Heaven. A nice view but it does not change the fact that many of us are struggling *now*.

Thankfully we can look into the history of the Church to see how others took on their own challenges with grace and humility. Many of them using their struggles for the Glory of God. The lives of the Saints tell the story of those who had to deal with great suffering. Either due to mental or physical illness. Stigmata. Or even persecution. Many of those who have been declared Saints did not lead easy lives at all. A common thread ties them all together. The suffering of Jesus Christ. The Passion of Christ tells us of what the Son of God had to endure even before he was put on the Cross. I'm not sure if you've ever researched as to what being crucified involves. I have. It is not pleasant at all. When I look everything that Christ went though for our own sake. It puts my own struggles into a unique perspective. Taking comfort in knowing that God is aware of what we face and that we can use our own challenges for the Glory of God. We can look to the lessons that have been taught and do what we can to apply them to our own daily lives.

Some days are harder than others. God understands this. We can use our struggles to draw closer to Him. I know that in my own walk the lessons and lives of the Saints serve as a guide to my own challenges. Which is why at the end of the day.. By the Grace of God I'm still standing.

Important Links!

Twitter: @kc8wzm


No comments:

Post a Comment