Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2018

A diocese in crisis.

This post was adapted from a FB post that I wrote earlier today. It has been rewritten and expanded from the original content. 

With in the last few weeks. Two major cases of sexual misconduct have come to light in the Saginaw Diocese of which I live in. To say the news is a shock is putting it mildly. As we go about our daily lives we realize that at some point we must face a storm darker than what ever we have faced. One that will test our own resolve to remain true to what we believe in.  Any time someone with in our religious leadership is accused of a crime. It is extremely hurtful to us as a community. Trust is shattered in the blink of an eye. Even if that person is not guilty of the crimes that they have been accused of. That sigma that those accusations carry will remain. The court of public opinion is easily angered and they will want vengeance that instant. Never mind if the person is truly guilty or innocent. That same court will also go after that religious institution. They see that religion as the source of the evil. Even though that is clearly not the case.

When accusations are proven true. They do far more damage to the religious community than those on the outside realize. The damage runs deep and creates fissures and fractures that most cannot see. It plants seeds of doubt. Often times making us question why we follow this religious path. Makes us question why we even stay. Does staying mean we are turning a blind eye? Or by staying are we making a silent stand and making it clear that want action. True change that those seek will not come from the outside.  It does not come from those who chose to leave. But rather it comes from with in. From those of us who have chosen to remain faithful. That change comes from standing firm and not being afraid to speak out when the time is called. If a religious leader is accused of a crime we allow the law to do their job. We let the courts decide their fate. We offer up our prayers to the victims and that God's justice be delivered fairly. We always show mercy and compassion when it is needed. Above all else we use this storm as a way to build up our faith and not allow it to break us down.

My heart has been troubled by the news coming out of the Saginaw Diocese. I have anger that such actions have taken place in our region. However I temper my feelings. I do not presume guilt or innocence of anyone. Instead I will allow the law to do their job and do what I can not to rush to judgement. Despite the grim news this will not change my opinion of the Catholic Church. My faith has always been rooted deeply in Christ. In these times of crisis we need people to step up and not walk away from the faith. As I've prayed on this issue lately I am reminded of a phrase I use: "Surrender to Christ all things." It serves for me as a constant reminder that we are in the hands of God. That during the most difficult storms Christ walks with us. Even when we cannot see the road in front of us.

I want to make something extremely clear: I do not condone evil acts committed by our religious leaders. If they are guilty of the crimes that they have been accused then they must be held accountable. I do not condone any in leadership in either turning a blind eye or trying to cover up those crimes. If they have done so. Let them be held accountable for their actions. I will however stand firm in my faith. For that is what Christ has called me to do. Please pray for the Saginaw Diocese. Keep them in your prayers. The storm that we are facing now. Has only just begun. 

Till Next Time.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment