Pages

Monday, September 11, 2017

Remembering 9-11

Greetings. A few notes about today's blog post. The first part of this post was written a year ago as my reflection of what I remember from 9/11. The second part is a reflection from today as I shared this on my timeline this morning.


I was on my way to work around 7am or so. Getting on to the expressway headed south to Fenton. Looked up in the sky and seeing the sun rise poking though the clouds gave me a very dark feeling. I remember whispering the words "ominous". Something got my attention that morning.
I clocked in at 8am. I was in the "rubber room" as usual. Cinda (my supervisor) along with a few others. Bobby was working the main press which was in another room and had the radio turned on. I heard the first reports of what what happening. After the first plane hit I realized that something far worse had happened. I honestly got overwhelmed and talked to my bosses about going home. They didn't understand it at the time. To be honest I'm not sure Emma and Preston (top people in charge) ever understood what happened to me that day. Then again I'm not sure even after all this time I've ever been able to understand what I felt that day. Either way I probably did my job at the place no favors by leaving. But by the time I got home the second plane had hit. The towers had crumbled. Then I found out about the Pentagon. The rest of the day is a blur. But the biggest feeling that I had was this overwhelming fear. Not so much for myself. But for others. Wondering if we were going to get attacked again. Wondering what could happen next.

As I sit and reflected on this day. I know the world has changed a lot since then. Our nation is fragmented more so than it has ever been. Perhaps we need to come together now before it takes another tragic attack to unite us once again. That's just my take on things I guess. - (9/11/16)

A year later we once again pause and reflect on this day. We should always take a moment to remember not only those who lost their lives that day. But the fire fighters, EMS, police and other volunteers who have lost their lives since that day due to cancer and other issues. 9-11 is a wound that will never fully heal. The impact of this day will last for generations to come. Take a moment to pray for the divisions in this nation. That at some point we would learn to come together instead of allowing petty divisions to ruin who we are. That even in the face of total darkness. That hope would be regained. Even as the storms rage all around us.

Till Next time.

-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment