Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Looking Past




It seems to me that in this current "modern age" their is a major misconception when it comes to those of us who are labeled as having some kind of disability. It is as if the word conveys something far more negative than we often realize. More so when speaking about people who have challenges in this life that are different from our own. The biggest common element in all of this is the idea that people who have a disability do not lead fulfilling lives. That by having some kind of challenge we missing out on all life has to offer us. An over judgmental and at times harsh view where the person sees the challenges someone faces instead of seeing the person as a true human being. They also do not see the struggles that we some times face. Yet our lives are by no means full of agony and suffering.

In my own life I have see this first hand. Even with in the Catholic Church. When people see me they often see a rather giant of a fellow who has a hard time walking. Who is socially awkward and a bit of a chatter box. They do not know the battles that I have to face from time to time. With the balance issues with the Cerebral Palsy. They also do not fully know that I often deal with severe anxiety. Sometimes that itself is due to the on going severe tinnitus. However even with all the challenges that I face daily. I cannot say that I don't lead a decent life. I have many things going for me. Such as being licence as a Amateur (HAM) Radio operator since 2003. My call sign being KC8WZM. Most also don't realize that also sing in the parish choir and have a pretty decent voice. Of course I am known by many as "The Lego Guy" because of my work with The Lego Church Project.

What is important for me that despite my own challenges I do live a pretty decent life. Granted it is far from perfect. But if you were to ask any one you would find that they also have their own challenges. Even if they don't necessarily consider it a disability. I for one would rather be defined for who I am as a person. For a long time ago I made a choice to do what I can to rise above what I face and let my work speak for me. For the most part I have been successful. It is not a matter of taking pride about this. But rather an understanding that above all else I am a child of God. That I have a deep love and passion for the Catholic Faith. Perhaps we should start opening up our hearts and seeing people for who they are. Not for the challenges they face.

-JM



No comments:

Post a Comment